When you just cannot hear another platitude….when you just want time to breathe…
I wish I had great news. I wish I had news that the chemotherapy is working, that the cancer is receding..
Ray is continuing to have fevers of unknown origin. He is showing all of the signs of sepsis with no known cause…waiting for cultures to grow. His lungs are compromised but the cause is unknown. He is on continuous oxygen. He is getting a port put in today since all of his veins are blown and there are no more IV sites. They have discontinued chemotherapy until the infection is known and under control.
We went to the specialist appointment on Tuesday where the hematologist sent him for scans of his legs due to swelling in his feet. They found a clot behind his one knee…since his bloodwork showed he needed another transfusion as well, we were sent to the ER there in Pittsburgh. During and after the transfusion he was running a fever and his oxygen levels kept dipping into the high 80’s. He had a known upper respiratory infection and was on a strong antibiotic for almost a week at that point. He received a blood thinner shot for the ride home and a script for more. Ray DID not want to stay in Pittsburgh so they sent him home with strict orders to see the oncologist the next day here in Johnstown.
AT the appointment on Wednesday, still his oxygenation was low, his heart rate was elevated and he felt like crap. fast forward to Friday. He had finished his antibiotic, his temperature was 102, his heart rate was elevated, he was showing signs of sepsis. We were sent to the ER in Johnstown…after spending the night in the hospital there, he was transferred by ambulance to West Penn hospital and is on the oncology floor. He has received two more units of blood and lots of a variety of antibiotics to fight this unknown foe. The disease specialists are conferring with the oncologists. We are waiting and praying and begging God to move in a mighty way. That the source of infection could be found and treated. Ray is in a LOT of pain and I ask that you would also pray that God would alleviate that. He is on very strong pain management drugs that are not working well.
We covet your prayers